Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I have to tell you, I hate the idea of running fronts and rears in parallel. If you have to do it, I would put a lot of emphasis on the sensitivity of the new speakers in relation to the fronts, because that determines how loud they will play. In my mind the worst thing that could happen is that the rear speakers are much louder than the fronts. What you want is for the fronts to be louder so that the stage has at least a chance of staying in front of you. I know you say you don't care about staging, but I have a hard time believing that. So you should look for speakers with a lower sensitivity then the front speakers. Keep in mind, the rear parcel speakers reflect off the rear window and are therefore amplified so finding the right mix will be very difficult in my opinion.

Do you not have the capability to use the head units speaker outputs to run the rear speakers? That way at least you could use the Fader to control how loud each set of speakers plays, depending on whether or not you have rear passengers. Alternatively, you could install a small cheap 2 channel amplifier to drive the rear speakers, and use the RCA outputs from the head unit's rear outputs and use the Fader when needed. If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of your original idea, I am, cause I hate it!
I love your passion for doing things right. I'm not interested in opening up my dash area or anything like that just to get the rears driven by the HU. Also the idea of a cheap second amp doesn't work due to my stealth install, no where to mount it (especially a cheap amp that generates heat, unlike the XD series I have now). In future, I will continue to be on the lookout for a great deal on an amp upgrade (got my 700/5 for less than $300 CAD, as an example of what I consider a great deal).

I'm looking for a quick fix for now, that I can still "fix" later if/when the time comes. Your comment about sensitivity is very well received, and makes perfect sense. If I go down this "shortcut" route, it is something that I will look for to maintain some sort of balance.

Hopefully I can find the sensitivity of the Audio System kit I have right now (I think it's discontinued) and the vibe slick 4 (also discontinued), so I can at least make an informed decision that way.

One of my original questions, when looking at that ebay link I provided earlier, does that appear to be the same vibe slick 4 that you had linked in your sticky? Is there something else in that price range that you'd also suggest?

I feel like I'm disappointing you, but hope you understand that it's a constant evolution, and right now I'm not interested in making any major changes until I find the right equipment at the right price.