Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Common concerns foxy,

-Can it affect your warranty?
No absolutely not, no bearing whatsoever. The manual only recommends funflats it does not say they must be used. Run flats are a cost option on ES cars anyway.

-Would it affect future trade in if it was on non-RFT?
Most dealers won't even notice, but if they do remind them that it is BMWs own internal policy to RECOMMEND, supply and fit non RFT tyres to customers who find the ride too harsh.

-I assume tyre pressures would stay the same?
No, you'll need to increase non RFT pressure in general. But start at the rated pressure, then go up.

-As the car is designed for RFT could it affect the handling detrimentally?
Thats marketing BS, what they mean is the car had been ruined in order to be bearable with RFTs. The handling will be much improved, but it may highlight the softer damping used to try and hide the RFT harshness. Higher pressures helps to give some of the stability back to the non RFT. But less tyre weight can only improve things.

-Would you expect the same sort of wear rate (I have at least half tread after 24,000 miles)
Thats REALLY good, my RFT (PS2 with best wear) lasted 24,000 to bald so you are doing well. Wear of a good brand tyre rft/non rft should be similar.

-Would non-RFT's need to be extra load (XL) to compensate for the stiff sidewall of the RFT.
Not especially, but many non rft in our sizes are XL anyway, for example all conti sport 3's are XL in our sizes. Again XL's require higher pressures also.

Also, I gather that from 2010 BMW are making RFTs an option on all models, so after the M cars showed they weren't compatible with 'performance' handling, now they seen to admit they're not compatible with anything else either....
Thanks you make some valid points there mate which has swayed me back towards non-RFT especially when a full set of Falkens can be had for less than £400!

I suppose the only argument for run-flats is the mobility. However. (touch wood) I have never had a blow out and even if you do by the sounds of things the tyre doesn't appear to always last that long.

Many punctures are a nail or a screw which leads to a slow failure and by keep topping it up at least with a non-RFT a repair can be done if poss saving a small fortune!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0