06-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
How much of the background of the situation did the first responders know when deciding how much personal risk they were willing to assume, and whether or not to enter the water ?

IF they knew he was intentionally putting himself in harms way, then it's not unreasonable to assume that would enter into their decision making, at least in a sub-conscious level. Yes it is technically their job to try and help, but if they knew he didnt want help, only the most naive would assume that the would be quite so keen to give everything and risk it all to try and save him (compared to what they may do to try and save someone who ended up in a pickle thru no fault of their own and desperately wanted to live).

If it was a real accident or something (fell out of a boat, or was pulled in by a stronger than expected tide or current, or whatever), and the responders didnt at least make some effort to try and go in and rescue him, then that is a tragedy. Even if a person exercised some monumentally poor judgement and, to nobodys surprise, ended up in trouble, that is still nowhere near the same as if someone intentionally put themselves in harms way.

If he chose to intentionally put himself in that situation, and they didnt risk their own safety because of that, then thats not quite the same deal, IMHO.

The fact that the circumstances of his life led him to think that the only way out was to kill himself is of course sad, and the tragedy may lie in THAT aspect of the story (he didnt have the social support he needed).

The fact that responders chose to not assume quite as much personal risk in that situation as much as they might have in the event of a truly "innocent victim" is not a tragedy, that is actually quite logical. I'd rather they do that and then be healthy and ready to go if a loved one of mine really wants their help later.
No no and no!

Suicidal victims need help no matter what the situation is! Other wise according to your flawed logic, we might as well close all mental hospitals and all Pshycotrists quit their jobs!

Now, to make you understand that you are wrong, i want you imagine that the drowing person is your father or your mother! Hows your logic working now??
Appreciate 0