03-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Excellent write-up. Most of the pertains to people like me with no voice control but who have phone prep. I've added the microphone to FZD, the antenna and rewired the MULF, etc but still have no working mic, so I suspect that I have to rewire the mic at the glovebox junction also (though other people in my situation haven't needed to).
I pulled the glovebox out and had a friend take one end of the ohm meter and touch it to the yellow wire for the mic in the FZD. We determined that the female side of the connector behind the glovebox runs to the mic in the FZD.

Next, we pulled pin 19 and 1 out of the white TCU connector in the trunk and shorted them, testing the yellow and black pairs on the male side of the connector behind the glovebox with the ohm meter. Once we found the matching pair, it became obvious -- the black, yellow, and clear wires in the glovebox area are bundled into the same "sheath" as the black, yellow, and clear wires you pull from the TCU connector. If you look at the way those wires line up when the glovebox connector is in place, the bundled wires aren't connected to anything. So arrange the pins in the male connector so the bundled wires line up with their corresponding colors on the female connector and, after adding $644, you should have mic audio.

Also, I found that voice control could not hear me once we added $644, and it wasn't until we moved the pins in the connector behind the glovebox that it started hearing me again. Therefore, I think the mic takes a different path for voice control when $644 is present (which requires the glovebox rewiring). Have you tried coding to enable voice control?
Appreciate 0