View Single Post
      11-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Has anyone here in Australia had any experience purchasing tyres from www.tirerack.com?

I'm not in any rush to get some new tyres but I will need them just before Christmas. There is a special at the moment on Pirellis P Zero cora systems from $575 to $217usd

Pirellis and Michelins were great on bikes, Michelins were my preference when I was riding. Tossing up between the two.

I've tried emailing them for a quote on postage a couple of times now but haven't heard back from them yet.

How's the postage, timing, reliability etc? If anyone has bought from them before I'd like to hear your experience.
I purchased a set of Michelin PSS tyres in 2012 from Tire Rack. I found them good to deal with at the time. The breakdown of costs were:

Tyres - $1,150
Freight - $306
Import Duty - $200
Total - $1,656

The same tyres in Australia would have cost me approx. $3,500.

To eliminate the Import Duty, I would split the order and get two shipments of two tyres separated by a month. The shipment costs for two shipments would dictate whether this would be beneficial or not. Also, the exchange rate has changed a lot since 2012 so the costs will be higher but not as high as buying them in Australia. I have found the Michelin PSS tyre excellent for grip (dry & wet) and road noise. I would recommend Michelins over the Pirellis.
Appreciate 0