05-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #91
EASTCOASTNINJA
WILL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn335 View Post
I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump on my E92 335, and I am having trouble getting the top aluminum bolt of the WP all the way in. The other 2 bolts went in just fine. It might be that the pump I got from Faulkner bmw does not have rubber grommets (this is the new Continental branded pump), so the hole thru which the bolts go is less deep.

What I did is, I took one of the used bolts, saw off the little unthreaded section at the bottom of the bolt (by hand, to avoid generating heat), and it went in just fine, torqued to aprox 80 in lb.

Does anybody see a problem with leaving the bolt in as it is?

---
Update: i did leave the bolt I cut in, and assembled everything.. Cooling system works well now.. Im a little nervous about that bolt and also due to the fact i used the used bolt and not the new.. The reason i used the old one is i think i overtorqued the new bolt when trying to fit it in before realizing it was too long to go in

Do i have reason to be nervous? The other 2 bolts (lower bolts) are new and torqued to spec
to be totally honest i left that top bolt off, and so far no issues. this weekend im about to inspect to see if there was any issues with me taking this risk. and i used my same bolts and everything.

And to the fellow having overheat issues still. Idk what it could be if all your parts are new and you did the right bleed out procedures. I hope its nothing simple like connectors or anything like that.
Appreciate 0