05-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #55
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
I'd call that a bad bog...there's a ton of time available if you can fix that. You can look for more slippage or deeper gearing, but I'd focus on more boost off the line. Are you doing anything to retard timing while on the 2-step yet? On the 4g63 at high elevation the sweet spot seemed to be around 0 degrees of advance...if you retarded too far it would start banging very concussively(?) and I eventually broke a turbo that way. But if you kept it just a little more advanced than that to where it still sounded normal it worked out quite nicely for pretty much exactly what you're trying to do.
I was talking with your old DMSer friend, Dave W, and he said something similar. Looking at the catalogs, timing dropped to 7-8deg just before the launch. Until now, we really never had a reason to do anything with ignition advance or throttle blade control while 2 stepping. Simply because we were always dealing with a traction limitation/wheelspin issue off the line. Now that we are actually bogging due to too much traction and not enough wheel torque, I'll have to go back and adjust 2-step accordingly. One suggestion was to move the clutch switch position lower in the pedal drive (currently, it switches to towards the top of the pedal). This should allow me to slip the clutch as I launch. Whereas right now, my ignition is cutting until just after the clutch starts to grab. So all I am doing is basally a controlled RPM clutch sidestep which clearly isn't working

It would be nice to solve this issue without introduce variables that could possibly damage the turbo. I'd rather the car see some clutch abuse instead since that is more acceptable during standing start, full boost launches with slicks. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
What are the front rebound settings on those fancy new JRZ's? They look pretty tight. If you dial them down you might get better weight transfer to the rear.
The rear end compression/rebound (they are single adjustable shocks) were set to max stiffness. The front was full soft to allow for it to lift up. I was going to experiment with slowly softening up the back as the day went on. But, from the start, we were already dealing with a too-much-grip issue. Which is an issue I'm not too familiar with.
Appreciate 0