View Single Post
      12-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #112
Sunny31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
Once your deal is done, before your new car gets on a flatbed for shipping to Canada or before you go down and drive it up, make sure you get insurance for it! The last thing you want is the car damaged in transit and you'll be SOL.

- When you buy the car, if you are not having it shipped over with a carrier/broker (a bonded carrier) who can cross the border with your car, you should make sure to apply for a temporary permit with the state you are buying from. It's only $20 for this and the DEALER will do it for you. This will allow you to drive the car across the border yourself, even though it has not yet been registered in Canada and it does not have any Canadian plates. This is what I didn't do when I was there and learned from my mistake!
If I were to purchase a car lets say in philly at a bmw dealership and getting it shipped to washington state, would I need to get a temp permit in philly or would it be ok to get one in washington state since thats where I would be picking up the car(from a vehicle transport company) and driving it over to Canada.

Also Im assuming I would get the car insured by a canadian auto insurance company for any damages that might happen while in the usa?
Appreciate 0