03-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #2181
BrynDN
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
Some comments...

Never have seen the service counters reset. The only thing that resets is the time and the brightness that you have the cluster set at. Even the date is retained. I have heard instances of this happening but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

The BMW efficient dynamics is absolutely amazing. I tried tricking it in a number of different ways, but it's very precise. The 6 speed cars do not know what gear you are currently in. The only thing it knows is if the gear shifter is in neutral, or if it is in a gear (all gears give the same reading to the ECU), and obviously if the clutch/brake is engaged or not. So basically it calculates what gear you are in (and thus what gear you should go to) based on the driving speed and rpm compared with your throttle position (and whether the clutch or brake is engaged). It probably also takes into account yaw and some other factors. It does a very good job of determining what gear you should go to depending on the throttle input, and will even tell you to skip gears, or downshift if necessary. And it's instantaneous. I love it and it's made a big difference for me.
Coded this new addition. Drove for a second and seemed cool. Didn't see it telling me to downshift, but...

Coding KOMBI reset my time, date, trip odometer, and all MPG/MPH averages. Had me freaking for a second, but a service meters remained unchanged.
Appreciate 0