05-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Yes, this is the reason why people get an OCC. Not sure if it will hurt the engine, but all I know is that it helps reduce the oil residue in the charge pipe as well as the intercooler.

This is definitely the reason why an oil catch can like the BSH OCC comes into play. The purpose of a catch can system is to collect/vent the blowby vapors inherent as part of the combustion process. The factory setup sucks these oily vapors directly back into the engine exposing them to everything in their path.

In the short term getting these vapors out of the combustion path reduces knock retard by not allowing oil vapor to mix with the air fuel mixture. In addition the more free flowing lines allow the engine to rev easily giving a more responsive feel to the engine as a whole.

Over the long haul these untended to vapors will build up over the intake valves leading to a host of running issues and an expensive repair bill to fix. With a catch can installed you will save yourself from dealing with this hassle
Appreciate 0