03-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Only:

a) if you have a SA 662 (Business radio) or SA 667 (Audio radio), no idea what people with Logic 7 or HiFi get but us mere mortals got something called a Professional Radio.

or

b) In the 6 months since the retrofit kit came out BMW have brought out one which supports the Professional radio.
Nope, I think I just have the mere mortal 'Professional' raido. Thing is, it seems a bt like a half-measure that BMW provide an AUX socket by default but not the USB. And if you are going to provide an AUX socket, but users will have to keep the ipod out to skip tracks etc., then hiding that AUX socket away in the armrest compartment is sorta counterproductive....

If I'd been ordering a new car from the factory, and had known about the USB thing, I would have added it as an extra, although 200 quid seems a bit steep.

My current setup, in the VW Golf, is using a tape adapter, which at least allows me to go back or forward through the tracks, using the cassette 'Rev/Fwd' buttons. I never use those of course, because the fact tha the ipod is connected to the tape deck by a shortish cable, and therefore needs to be nearby, measn teh natural place to leave it is in the slot below the radio, so the ipod controls are thus easily accessible.

(I tried an iTrip once, but the signal quality was unbearably bad. All my daughter's friends use iTrips but then they are used to the sort of audio quality you get playing mp3s out of mobile phones! Kids today, etc.)

My new setup, then, is going to be ipod plugged into Aux, and armrest closed, requiring the extra faff and expense of a wireless remote!

Of course, the big advantage with teh Beemer, will be the ability to play CDs of mp3s....
Appreciate 0