View Single Post
      09-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #23
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
The fact is there are laws that prevent the above you are mentioning. They CAN NOT deny you coverage on something that has nothing to do with an aftermarket part.

I have talked extensively with my SA here and he has seen my modded to the gills BMW and told me the same thing. And that they would not deny me coverage if the problem was not caused by the aftermarket part.

If a dealer tries to do this, they are idiot/assmunchers and you can fight it, period.../thread
Ok I tried being nice...

Did your SA write your service contract? He didn't? Then why are you asking him what is and is not covered? And guess what, he has ZERO say when it comes to that decision.

There are NO LAWS that correlate to "service contracts" (extended warranties) in the manner you speak of. I assume you are referring to the magnuson moss warranty act. In which case, you didn't read it very carefully. It applies ONLY to FACTORY warranties. It does NOT apply to "service contracts" such as aftermarket warranties.

Please do not spread such misinformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

" A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions."

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16...1.7.71.0.45.11

Google some more if you'd like more reading and proof. Service contracts are exempt from the magnuson moss warranty act, as they are considered "insurance" for business/warranty purposes. As such, they can deny claims for any reasons they outline in the contract, including the personal experiences I conveyed above. People need to understand this drastic difference between factory warranties and extended/aftermarket "warranties".

Last edited by Bmwguy11; 09-06-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0