View Single Post
      06-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Actually WSIR is one of the MOST dangerous tracks out west. Turn 9 is absolutely BRUTAL in that, at speed, 1/2' off of the apex means you're going to wad your car up in a ditch. Turn 9 at WSIR is almost as dangerous as Turn 9 at Laguna Seca. Maybe a small step behind turn 10 at Sears. I've "seen" more cars wrecked at Turn 9 at WSIR than just about every where else.

The problem with WSIR, is it's relative "ease" makes for a deceptively dangerous place to drive. It lulls you to "sleep" in a way, and the second you lose concentration it spits you back out at a numbers of turns: Turn 1, Turn 3, Turn 6, Turn 9 are all more difficult than it appears, especially at speed.

But compared to all the other local tracks, WSIR does not demand the same type of attention to detail and concentration. THAT, is what makes it dangerous. That and Turn 9. But as far as equipment is concerned, it's easy on brakes, easy on engine, heavy on tires.

I can not comment on tracks I've never seen. What I can tell you is, in my experience in various passenger seats of 335i that has had "issues" on track, the most likely turns to cause problems on the 335i are slow turns leading onto long straights. .... And the built up heat results in limp mode.

... It's those combinations (low speed turn followed by long straight, followed by combinations of slow stuff) that will get you.

HAVING SAID THAT. I would drive HARD and find out where the limp limits are. Then dial back accordingly. If it were me, I wouldn't go in trying to preserve and prevent. I'd go find the limit then back off. Another thing I would do, especially if it's an automatic, is bring a bottle of water and a fine sprayer, and spray the radiator in-between runs. The evaporating water will assist the radiator in exchanging heat and prevent early onset of heat built-up in the water that causes limp, because the AT shares heat exchangers for the transmission with the radiator. I learned this trick from observing Nissan's NISMO department, who brought about a dozen cars for journalists to test out (I was lucky enough to be invited despite my poor writing skills) in the hot California desert heat (Streets of Willow), and they had a guy with a "mister" they called "Mr. Mister" that goes around and sprays the radiator religiously between runs.

IMO, it's managing the heat build-up between runs that's key here, not necessarily the actual heat on track. Having a good time with the 335i (auto or manual) is possible, it just takes a lot more work than usual.
Thanks for the input. The slow speed turn with long accel and 3-4 turns sounds very much like Sebring's 3.1 mile course with a hairpin followed by long sweeping left at WOT before a R, L, R, L, R turn. Now I know what to look out for in August when I go there again (it will be my first time in THIS car at Sebring).

As for misting,...I have heard and thought about this as well but I am just getting started with HPDE so I was not sure if this would be realistic to expect to be able to do between runs. Dont we get more "class room like instruction" and time away from our cars so "misting" may not be possible? Sorry for the ignorance as I am just getting started with the HPDE thing. If it is possible I will surely do that.

BTW what is your opinion about meth and temps? You never answered... Also I have seen people describing using Nitrous as a FMIC spray to cool the IAT further but meth would accomplish the same or better result. However, why have we not come up with a similar solution for the RADIATOR. Nitroous spray or even water on the Radiator? Does that sound stupid? I realize its a band aid of sorts but may be a relatively easy thing to do. I suppose the tracks may frown uppon a setup like that for fear of water all over the track but I am not sure. I read a GTR forum where one vendor has a misting setup to cool the GTR brakes instead of just air cooling. So why not adopt this similar concept but for our radiators?

here are the links to that brake cooling setup for the GTR.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....sults-updated/

http://www.willallracing.com.au/performance.htm#wr35ms

(see the "Water mist cooling system" and "Brake Cooling system" in that last link)
Appreciate 0