View Single Post
      02-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I'm thinking about getting myself 'something for the weekend'. Maybe not right away, but sometime in the next 12 months.

My ideal would be a Lotus Elise or VX220.

Good examples of both seem to be available for £10k or so. Although you seem to get more for your money with the VX. I'm also a bit worried about running costs with the Lotus on the basis that they seem to be made from bacofoil, gaffer tape and plastic.

I've thought about Caterhams etc, but I would like to be able to use the car for work during the summer, so need something with SOME practicality.

MX5 is also an option, which is attractive, because of the price, but I would prefer something as quick as the 330i.

I'm only a learner petrol head .. so any advice from you guys would be more than welcome.
What do you want to know??

My first "toy" car:

My second one:

My Current one:

As far as your initial thoughts go...

A Caterham or Westfield (like mine) is brilliant - fantastic experience at sensible speeds. However they are totally impractical so you will have to decide whether you can cope with that or not. View it as a motorbike with 4 wheels.

MX5's are very very capable and good value.......but........are you going to open a salon as well???

Elise/VX220 - this is a continual debate and one which I had too. Overall the VX is probably the more sensible choice - slightly more reliable and cheaper to run....however....do you really want a Vauxhall (even one which was built by Lotus) sat in your garage?????

There is of course the TVR option (see above) for the same sort of budget....

Hope that helps for starters!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0