View Single Post
      11-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #108
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Other than the BMW parts, I needed to buy distilled water and a 12mm E-socket.

From the BMW dealer parts counter:

$ 488.30 11-51-7-632-426 32C Coolant PU
$ 10.27 11-51-0-392-553 3D3 Set of Alu
$ 119.12 11-53-7-549-476 13C Thermostat
$ 26.19 82-14-1-467-704 Staircoolant:83

If I didn't need this car as my daily driver, I would have either bought the parts online in the ballpark of $400, or waited for an appointment for the dealer to do the work. It took enough time and effort that it could have been worthwhile to just pay for the service. What prompted me to DIY was the dealer service was booked up to Thanksgiving, and all their loaner cars were out already. So, waiting, renting, towing, and 4 hours labor rate made it an easy decision.

The removal of the old parts and install of the new parts went almost identically (though it took me much longer than a pro) to the videos I used as guide:

Part 1 - parts removal

Part 2 - install

I don't know if there are many differences for automatic transmission with intercooler. But it was spot on for 2007 BMW 335i coupe, sport package, and with manual transmission.

One annoyance is where to jack the car while placing jack stands at the jack points.

Also, how can you get the last 3/4 gallons coolant out? There wasn't any blue drain plugs on the bottom of the radiator that I could find which i've read about in other coolant flush info. So instead, I flushed about 1.4 gallons three times. I wanted to start off with all fresh coolant. Would have flushed a fourth time as it still wasn't running clear enough, except that I hadn't bought enough distilled water, and didn't want to go back to the store for more. (I had considered using RO water, but I didn't have enough info to know whether it was equivalent enough to distilled.)

After all finished, I cleared the codes with the Bavarian Technic Enthusiast, and tested. Water temp never went above 97C, the heater worked, no new codes, and oil temp was normal at 210F (not 240F as I had written incorrectly in my prior post).

I have photographed an indicator that shows in service schedule in red, and pops up for a moments in yellow after a few minutes driving:

I haven't been able to find this in the owner's manual listing of indicator lights for the car. Maybe there is another page in the manual I just haven't found. This is the one I had mentioned in my prior post, thinking it had been the coolant low indicator. But it looks like it's just the coolant service schedule indicator.
Attached Images