View Single Post
      05-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
zonywhoop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Random power window anti-trip function messages

Anyone ever had this happen? I had my passenger rear window regulator fail, got a new one from the dealer, installed it but I could never get the darn thing to fully reinitialize. The window would go all the way up then immediately come back down half way and stop. Did this for weeks. Last night I got frustrated and decided enough was enough and started to do the 17 second process from scratch. After the 3rd try the motor just stopped working - window would not go up or down. Called a friend of mine that is a BMW mechanic and he suggested that I had probably hit either the thermal or overload shutdown and just to wait it out; so I went to bed sad .

Fast forward 10 hours, problem is still there. So, with all other ideas behind me I decided to yank the battery and let the car sit for an hour. After waiting impatiently I plugged the battery back in and boom, the window works ; I'm super excited. I get the window anti-trap reset and life looks good, except, now I get a "Power Window Anti-Trap Function" message on my iDrive and the window icon in my dash about every 20 seconds or so. It's only there for about 3 seconds then disappears. All of the windows work perfectly; auto up and down never stop working. I've re-initialized all of them and have even pulled the battery again - this time for 3 hours - but still the problem remains. I've even pulled the troublesome door back apart and cleaned the power window motor connections, but the message just keeps appearing.

Long story short, I'm at a complete loss. I have searched google and all of the forums for hours but have yet to find an answer. I've reached out to my mechanic friend, who happens to be on vacation, and his only thought is a failing hall sensor. Unfortunately I don't like that answer, mostly because I hate driving a car that is dinging every 20 seconds and it will be a few days before we can get all of the parts and really see if that is problem.

So, has anyone on the board ever seen or heard of this problem? Do you know of any potential fixes?

Thanks,
Zonywhoop
Appreciate 0