View Single Post
      02-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #56
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

My next car is going to be manual, no question about it. However, I do not want to learn on a brand new high-end car. Since nobody rents manual cars anymore, nor do I want to ask any of my friends with manuals (they are all relatively high-end) to let me learn on their cars, I came up with this plan. Sometime before I buy my car, I am going to buy a POS Honda or something for a few hundred bucks. In Ontario we have 10-day permits you can buy for like $15. You can buy a maximum of two without registering the car, so 20 days in total. Practice on the beater for up to 20 days, without having to register it, get a safety check or emission test done. My current insurance will cover any new car I buy for up to 30 days or when I register it. 20 days should be sufficient to gain enough confidence/skill not to fuck up a new tranny. It also doubles as a means of getting around in between any potential sale of the old car date and delivery of the new car. Finally, when there is only like 1 day left on the permit drive it into a junk yard and potentially recover a significant part of your initial expense. Bonus if you can get a friend to go in on one with you.