05-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
axztx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
Well, I have Conti DWS on my car and about 2 months ago I ran over a piece of L channel on th interstate. The tires only had 300 miles on them. It really was not that bad running over it but I did blow out both driver side tires. Discount Tire replaced those for free and I had them road force balance. However, since then, I get a "hum" from a tire when I hit 55mph and goes away at 65mph. No vibration but sounds like a tire "roar". Not too loud but still noticeable. They checked ALL the tires and nothing out of spec they can see. They even jsut replaced one of the "original" tires to see if that helped...They really worked hard to please me and I cannot thank them enough. If it is not the tires, what would cause the hum I hear. I know it is not a bearing, I replaced one of those on the rear about 4 months ago and it is a totally different sound.
I have the same humming noise from my Conti DWS starts at 65 and stops @ 80. The noise started 2 weeks after I put on the DWSs. Took it to the dealer and they said tires are chopped/cupped. Suspension/wheeling bearings are fine. I rotated my tires and the noise lessened a little bit for a week or so but they're humming like crazy again. Needless to say I'm replacing these crappy tires. Mechanic at NTB (Tirerack installer) said the DWS are crap tires - they've installed a ton of them and they've had a ton of complaints. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the reviews on tirerack and the fact that people were waiting for them on backorder. These will be the last Continental tires I ever buy.
Appreciate 0