View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #52
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
This is probably one of the reasons why you see very few N54 powered cars at HPDEs (track days).

Not to get off topic, but this is also why I've always questioned the 335’s alleged parity with the E46 M3. While the published specs in many car magazines do suggest that the cars are similar performance-wise, the fact is that they're very different when pushed to the limit. IMO, my 2004 M3 Coupe’s power delivery, chassis dynamics, handling, braking, and SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE are superior to my 2007 335i Sedan’s. The 335i’s N54 engine may be fine getting around the Nordschleife in 8:26, but it will be completely heat-soaked and limping before it completes 15-20 minutes of sustained hot lapping on any track (and even sooner if it’s equipped with a Steptronic slushbox and/or chipped). In contrast, the E46 M3’s S54 engine, transmission, and cooling system will keep the car going strong until it needs to pit for fuel. That’s a HUGE difference between the two cars...
+1 from my own experience. Z4M with S54 no issue what so ever, reving it till 8000 RPM lap after lap on the Ring. 335i (standard w/o tune) Limpmode end of second lap on a hot day (which is after about 17 minutes)
Without changes to the cooling you can forget pushing a 335i on the track.
Appreciate 0