02-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
Thanks for the responses! Seems there's a lot of praise for the ACT.

My concern with the ACT is it's rated at 456 ft-lbs... with the AP S1, I'm already over 400 at the crank and it would be more than adequate for now. But with stage 2 I would be close to (if not more than) 500 crank tq. Also, I'm concerned that the added drivetrain stress of being AWD will not do my clutch any favors.

Thanks dzenno for chiming in; I read your review on the HPF and was impressed not only by that clutch but by your experience with the ACT that seems to suggest that the torque rating is very conservative. Despite that, it sounds like you're saying it is worth the extra money to be safe and go straight to the HPF rather than assuming the ACT should be adequate for up to 450 wtq. Other than price, was there any advantage or disadvantage that you experienced or have become aware of in using the ACT vs the HPF?

I know you're stuck with a stock DM flywheel with the HPF, but I have gotten used to it at this point anyway.
1) If you're not planning on aftermarket turbos or nitrous go with ACT if you want a reliable clutch that doesn't cost much. If you have the money and/or plan on doing either nitrous or upgraded turbos or both go with the HPF one.

2) I'm not "stuck" with a dual mass flywheel. I ran a single mass lightweight flywheel on this car and won't do it again. Even though the clutchmasters one I ran (16lbs 2-piece) is better than the SPEC (12lbs) one in terms of chatter, for a daily driver chatter isn't acceptable to me and the car gets annoying to drive in stop/go traffic.

Again, if you're not touching your turbos or nitrous, ANY tune you throw on the car will work just fine with the ACT...I ran over 490ft-lbs at the wheels with the ACT without slip on RBs..
Appreciate 0