05-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #54
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
This is where it started to get interesting, the consumption.
While hammering them the 335d was showing 28mpg and the petrol was showing 26mpg, so only 2mpg between them, but we do know that diesels excel when sat at just under 2000rpm on a steady cruise, so that is 65mph in the 335d, but who buys a 335d to sit at 65mph??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Looking round at 330i times for 1/4 mile most are at 14.3 seconds for the older car, which was also .5 seconds slower to 60mph, so I would expect .8 seconds off the 1/4 mile from older car to newer one?? Even if you just knock the .5 seconds off then it is sub 14 seconds.
Good posts gIzzE !

The main economy benefit of diesels is that they run much more efficiently at part load and it's interesting to see that the 335d mpg is actually similar to the petrol car when both are being pushed.

As I recall EVO magazine show the 0-100mph of the OLD e46 330i as 14.5 secs. I'm pretty sure that the 258hp and 272hp e90 330i's would both be around that mark. Regardless, like you I'm not particularly interested in 100mph+ speeds.

0-60 is important, because accelerating up to the national speed limit is fun and legal I haven't driven at 100mph+ for years (on the road) so performance at that speed means little to me.

Personally I think the older 330i is a superbly balanced package. It has just enough power for the chassis. Enough to provoke oversteer and balance the car on the throttle (if you are able), but not so much that you have to reign yourself in all the time.

The 272 sounds great. I could use some extra economy (I average 25mpg at the moment) and a little bit of extra power wouldn't go amis.

What I do love is the sound of the engine and the buzz you get when you manage a perfect upshift right at the redline. 1-2 at 35mph and 2-3 at 68mph by that point (less than 7 seconds later) you are in license losing territory and that's where I back off.

There is a LOT of fun to be had getting there though.
Appreciate 0