View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #52
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Yeah this is hard to explain. True for Konis not sure about your V1's. The bottom inside of the cup/receptacle in the hub-knuckle is rounded along the edge inwards (female cupped). The outside bottom of the shock/strut is shape matched (male version) about 3 inches up. When you slide the shock all the way down these two surfaces match up and it is not possible to push the strut down any further. That ends up with approx 3" of lower shock protruding out from the bottom of the cup.

Said another way the lower end of the strut tube has two diameters. One is the main body, then that is rounded off to a slightly smaller diameter about 3" from the end. That transition between two diameters fits inside the exact same shape inside the bottom edge of the cup.

Also there are two nubs on the strut, lined up vertically, that fit into the gap in the cup/knuckle clamp that will align the strut the right way so the sway bar tab is oriented properly. These nubs go pretty far down inside the slot before the strut is in position, but they make it hard to twist the strut to get it to go all the way in. Esp with new paint on the strut.
Ill have to take a look at this when i get my car out of storage. Maybe it does go down further? But I dont know what would prevent it from going down even further than it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AutoCouture View Post
Lol im astounded at the people recommending to cut the bumpstops out. That is the only thing that is protecting the internal piston from beating itself and failing against the housing. You break that, KW will NOT warranty the shocks.

I had H&R coils in my girls XI. I had them all the way down, was almost tucking tire. Had to bring it up.

Your front axle geometry will get fucked in the process...have fun replacing axle boots when you tearcthem.
Dont worry I'm not going to cut out my bumpstops. Im just baffled that my coilovers dont allow me to go any lower and i still have a gap. I've also spun it up 7 threads and it didnt even raise up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
They just showed up yesterday, i will install them in a couple days and post pics. Wheel spacers also arrived.
Right on! Can't wait to see some pics.