11-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
Can you give me some more details on what exactly you did when it fried? I'm going to run some tests later and would like to avoid frying mine.
I had a Targus car/airplane adapter that I have used with laptops that had a tip that fit the hard drive external power connection. The voltage looked like it would be OK, but , because I'm an idiot, I didn't check the amperage of the adapter. I connected it to that adapter in may car, it didn't work, and the hard drive never worked again.

The Iomega drive comes with a split USB so that you can plug it into two USB ports if it doesn't get enough power. When I used a car to usb adapter to power the extra usb connections on the cable, it worked fine. However, I couldn't use the adapter in the power port in the armrest and close the armrest, so was looking for a different solution. I had ordered a different adpater that would have worked OK, but my impatience cost me a hard drive. I guess all's well that ends well because now I have the one that can be powered from the USB alone, so I don't have the beeping from insufficeint power prior to the car power port powering up (the USB powers up when you unlock the car, but the cigarrete-type power port doesn't power up until you start that car, I think).
Appreciate 0