11-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #25
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib_rb View Post
Reviving an old post. I also have a convertible and believe a solid low end is possible. I am leaning towards an IB install but only have room for a 12. A single Image Dynamics would do about as good as anything I am thinking. I've not heard a single 12 but it certainly would do better than what I'm listening to currently which is nothing. Any better options for a limited space and no corner option sub?
Well that mostly depends on how loud you like things to get and how much you care about SQ. You can pretty much go three different ways:

1. SQ sub. Something like Dynaudio or Focal, high dollar beautiful sounding subs, but limited in xmax and therefore volume. Cost $1000+

2. SQL sub. Something like the IDMax or JL 12W7 (or even W6) with relatively high xmax, for higher volume capabilities while still sounding great. Cost $400+

3. "Standard" sub, that can work in IB, like ID12, JBL GTO or many others. Limited xmax, limited volume, but inexpensive. Cost $100+

Personally, I'm not a bass head but I like the idea of being able to turn it up past "normal" levels if I have the urge to do so. If I had the convertible, I would only consider the IDMax, W7 and W6, in order of preference. I would give each of those subs at least 500W - 750W for best results.