View Single Post
      05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #40
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

1.5/1.6 is the perfect size for a petite woman imho. subtle, yet showy, but not too pretentious. Go for VVS1. No substitution for knowing that the sucker has no noticeable imperfections (under lens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
I need to make a correction to my earlier post. My wife's diamond is actually 0.75ct (D, VS2) with another 0.3ct (side stones, also D color, SI1), with white gold setting (we went back and forth over a platinum setting vs. white gold with extra diamonds).

I hadn't looked at that GIA report in over 7 years. I was originally looking at a 1ct stone that was lower quality (about G color and SI1-2 quality). At the time, after seeing so many stones I actually got good at picking out inclusions. In general, anything with SI has inclusions visible to the unaided eye. VS requries 10x magnification to see the inclusions.

The 1ct stone I originally looked at appraised for a lower price than the 0.75ct stone I ultimately purchased. My wife has now grown really attached to her ring and is actually very against me upgrading her ring. However, she is ok with buying "another" ring.

I'm thinking the next one should be about 1.5ct, vs1 or higher, D color (she really likes the totally clear stone), with a platinum setting.
Appreciate 0