linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
couple of options

Do not get the X.. poorer MPG, heavier..

get the 335 without the sports package the all seasons should be enough in most cases

2. get the sport package and get a good set of dedicated tire wheel set up from Tire rack for about $800.
I really have to laugh when people point out the poorer fuel economy on the xdrive compared with the rwd. Let's be blunt, if you're worried about 0.1 difference on the fuel economy, you should really consider the 328 and not the 335. Better yet, go with a hybrid. Seriously, the difference between 335 and 335xi fuel economy is hugely insignificant. If you're pointing this out, you're missing the picture.

With regards to heavier. Drive 335i and 335xi back to back. I would think most people would hardly notice a weight difference. If you're going to track the vehicle (and there are better vehicles to track than a 335i, M3 perhaps?) then you might notice.

The xi is more practical when you need more traction to launch and take turns on slippery surfaces. Test drive the two in different weather conditions. Xi makes a difference in heavy rain as well. I know, I've done the comparisons. Don't buy into all the rhetoric and BS on this board about performance loss when you're considering real world driving. In any case, I would highly recommend winter tires. You'll get more traction and better stopping power, irrespective of your choice of i or xi.

And by the way, if you're getting the 335i without the sports package, you're missing out on the sports suspension. Why would you care about a marginally heavier vehicle if you're willing to forgo this performance option?

I'm not advocating that the xi is right for everybody. But it's a shame there are those that just slam it without having owned one and lived with its advantages. There are always tradeoffs to make. The xi's tradeoffs are marginal and the benefits are significant in areas of considerable cold weather precipitation. Give your decision a mature perspective.

By the way, I didn't mean to direct this comment at Li E90. Just dispelling some myths that I reread on this otherwise awesome forum.
Appreciate 0