View Single Post
      08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

My wife's 2005 Acura TL (bought new) has 79K miles on it. I just drained/refilled the antifreeze from the radiator - not full flush/replacement, as the timing belt/water pump is supposed to be replaced at 100K miles so I didn't feel like jumping through the extra hoops when it's all going to be flushed in the next 24 months. Long story short, the antifreeze level was still at 'full' and it has never had a drop (as far as I know) added to it in 6 years.

But step back for a few paces. When the car was assembled, if every part wasn't perfectly sealed, there are going to be some leaks. Most leaks are so small you won't even notice and they're generally not worth trying to track down.
Compared to cars that I worked on 35 years ago, needing some coolant after 19K miles is fantastic. You can give it a try to track down a minor leak but if it were me, I'd simply have the dealer refill it and check it again myself manually in another year. If it's still within tolerences, I wouldn't worry about it.
Those micro leaks tend to end up getting sealed by leaking contaminents over time. If you look at my pool's filter system, you'll see calcium buildups where a little bit of water used to leak.

Bottom line: Get it refilled by the dealer and don't lose sleep over it.
Appreciate 0