Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Thanks. Learn something new every day! Even more to the point:

1) Do DISA flaps make that clunk noise when they close and...
2) Does your 330i make the same noise?
They can generally make a rattling noise. Well mostly the older types like the M54 engines in the E46, but even the N52/3 motorised DISA flap does make a noise when it actuates, but not to this extent if working normally. I replaced mine thinking that they were making the pinging noise (as in therefore not pinging), but they weren't. When I experimented with my diagnostics cable and INPA I was able to actuate each DISA flap and they made a noticeable clunk noise. But this is with the engine off so pretty quiet in reality and never heard when revving the engine.

I would have the codes read to see if anything comes up. Also, maybe worth pulling the throttle body out to see if there is anything obviously wrong, loose butterfly valve etc. The DISA flap is less likely to be the issue I reckon though.

Now with my problem and searching the internet for similar symptoms, I am sure that I came across one of two vids of N53 engined E90's that had a very similar noise to what yours is doing. So might be worth searching YouTube to see if there are any other vids of this - maybe they have indicated what caused their problems...

Appreciate 0