02-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #67
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
Great thread.

I'm in the process of learning to drive a manual trying to make my mind up between step and stick on my 335i order. Unfortunately, Seattle's hills make a stick more of an issue that it otherwise would be. Had a series of stalls on a hill yesterday afternoon that was brutally embarrassing and seemed to last forever. I can still remember the look on the woman's face who was sitting in a different car waiting for me to get up the hill. UGH!

While hill starts and regular driving are getting manageable at this point, I seriously have not been able to get the car in reverse without stalling it. Fear I guess is that I'm going to go flying backwards if I give the car too much gas. I can't modulate the speed properly so I react by not giving the car enough gas, resulting in a stall.

I take it that what I should be doing is only partially letting go of the clutch?
Thanks for the , I hope you don't let that incident from yesterday deter you from enjoying your MT or regret getting MT. I think if you are truely new at MT, you need more time behind the wheel. Once you are comfortable, I think you will really enjoy the MT. I think your problem like that of yesterday has a little to do with nervousness. But then I have never been to Seattle so I don't know how steep those hills are (like San Francisco maybe?).