09-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #62
Dr.phuOnger?
*BluRp*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Dr, sorry, I don't understand why you updated which positive connection to use. What was wrong with the first location, that the front one is so much better? Don't most people use the first spot you had used?

IIRC, I think I saw someone even buy a special BMW connector that goes on the end of the wire so that it is plug and play with one of the free positive ports next to that one in fact.
The reason why I updated it is because there may be some instances where the user does not properly add an inline fuse or when they are driving and their amp and things are not tightened down an loose, it could cause a short or surge of voltage. The power where we originally tapped is off the crash assistance system. In a accident, that battery crash assistant thing will cut power to your car. If your system shorts that safety then you will lose power to car/go on limp mode.

If we use the first connection it is before the safety device.

I have had only one person I know of that this happened to their car. They were running an old school amp that was faulty and it caused his safety device to to activate and it put his car into limp mode. BMW charged about 300 to replace it.

It's not to say this will happen to your car but I would rather you guys use this other terminal to be safe. I know alot of people like to shortcut or install things because they are impatient. Better to be safe is my always my priority with electrical
Appreciate 0