01-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #297
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Awbimmer: I think you should change the jumper pin on the xover to one pin less than it is now. Quite a few people do this so not to worry its normal due to them being on axis.

I can give you a quick base to test, although i never had a sub in my car. I'd set the Jehnerts at 80hz HP @ 12/24db and 200hz LP @ 24db. Morels HP 200hz @ 24dB. For your sub you can experiment on the LP (up to 80hz i'd say) but you might want to set the subsonic to 20-30 depending on the sub and power going to it.

The key to getting a good calibration is to make sure that when the ms-8 does its sweeps in each channel during calibration, that all channels have the nearest dB level you can. So really you should focus on doing this. Obviously xover points and calib volume will come into play but if you have it all level matched first then you don't have to worry.

But as you have a sub it's going to take a bit more trickery to get it sounding good. It can, and has been, done before. I'd guess that you will benefit from doing one of kaigoss' mods; makkan knows about this.

Hey Mo,

Thanks for the message buddy. I Pm’d Kaigoss a couple days back and he also quoted similar frequencies to the above so it’ll be interesting to see what I can render from the tweaking. As of now, my ears are getting more and more used to the new sounds and I’m really impressed – but there is room for further tweaking! Since I found the Tweeters to be harsh initially, I have turned down the tweeter EQ on my OBC which has resulted in a much better sound of course. I absolutely LOVE how these morels sound (compared to my previous focals) since I remember the Focals to be quite harsh. Best part is, my amp gain is only set to half way mark but still pumps out enough bass. During show season and after I tweak it up, I’m hoping that half way on amp gains or perhaps a tad bit more will be more than enough to draw in a nice crowd, but let’s see!

Re: usage of a multimeter, I have one but not the one you sent a link for last night, will a normal multimeter do?

Kaigoss has told me to do exactly what you’ve also said in your post above and then to drop him a PM once I’ve reached the Sub part of calibration, he mentions there is trickery involved and it’s called the Kai Mod lol! I was also told about the Secret Menu… but all this over quite overwhelming and a lot to take it so really need it to be broken down into stages /steps – thanks a tonne for helping me out buddy – I can’t be thankful enough!