02-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #268
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
I can't see the case for a supercharger. If you want a 3-series with forced induction, buy a 335. Period. It is proven, upgradeable and supported by the factory. Your "kit" was developed over years by BMW bringing all of their engineering resources to bear, not built in a warehouse using a single car as a testbed. Sure, it has some reliability issues when compared to a 330/328 but rest assured it will be vastly more reliable than an N52 with an aftermarket charger fitted to it. To top it all off, once you have succeeded in spending thousands and thousands of dollars to make your car now less reliable than a 335, it will still be slower than that same 335 with a simple chip upgrade. As for the lower weight of the naturally aspirated cars, I agree. It is one of the biggest upsides over the turbo cars. But you do realize that superchargers are heavy and the resulting car would likely weigh more than a 335?
As of right now, this thread is seven pages long. Do you have any idea of how many people chimed in with this exact information?

WE KNOW A TUNED 335 WILL BE FASTER AND POSSIBLY MORE RELIABLE!!!

Right now, my car weighs 200-250lbs less than a 335. I know for a fact that my car is just as quick as a stock 335. Again, a tuned 335 is just as quick as an M3 so forget about it. I do know that all of my friends with 335s have had issues with injectors, HPFP and codes popping up. I have had none of these issues.

Again, it would cost me about $15,000 for me to switch to a 335 at this point. If I can get a supercharger for about $5,000 it's a major savings for me and I can keep my car.
Appreciate 0