View Single Post
      02-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I posted this in another thread yesterday.

"You'll find many opinions on paint protection packages; in general what you're paying for is the warranty. For the most part paint protection like Glare, Xzilon, Diamond Kote, etc... are just high durability sealants applied by the dealer at a huge markup. They almost always come with a warranty that specifies that the product be re-applied every 6 months to a year (which almost no one does). Since most folks never go back it's a huge money maker for the dealership.

The warranties also prohibit you from polishing or waxing your paint, which is a big turn off in my opinion.

I'd say take the money and invest in a quality paint sealant, leather cleaner/conditioner, and some scotch guard for your carpets, and do it yourself in a day.

If you want second, third, and forth opinions head over to autopia.org and search around."

To go into a little more detail; there is currently no product that will last more than ~12 months on paint. There may be some soon, but right now they just don't exist so as I mentioned you're essentially paying for the warranty. As a detailer I am inclined to say "pay a detailer to protect your car" because it is a much better bang for your buck (I can explain why if you like); or even do it yourself. That said this isn't a realistic option for a lot of people, so the paint protection CAN make sense if you expect you will use the warranty at some point.
Appreciate 0