View Single Post
      01-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #32
335iredline
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
sorry that I have to ask. What is the purpose of the capacitor? Is it to prevent it from throwing an error code? I thought people always use resistors for that.
Capacitor stores excess power and distributes as needed from the source requesting it. Issue with BMW when switching to HID's is the HID bulb requires much less power to light than a typical halogen bulb. With less power needed our computer detects that it is consuming less than normal power and it throws an error code and also sends pulses repeatedly to ensure it is accurate as being bulb out situation (hence the flickering members speak of). Well when you add a capacitor it stores the excess power tricking the computer into thinking it is a normal situation and sends only amount needed for HID ballast to function in turn eliminating the error and pulse situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
I wonder if you could apply this mod to the rear fogs? I would love to be able to blind people that tailgate me.
I have no idea. Im pretty sure this is why US spec cars did not get this option lol
Appreciate 0