View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
What machine and pads do you use? I would buy a machine myself but scared of fudging it up and making the swirls super swirly
I got a Silverline rotary (cleanyourcar.co.uk has them). Brilliant piece of kit. Just whatever you do, don't get the standard Silverline backing plate as it's crap. Get one of the ones that are about £15-£20. I was worried about destroying my lovely paint too, and it's good that you are, because it is likely you'll be very careful. You just need to start slowly and your first time using it, you aren't likely to get perfect correction with it, but the more you use it and understand your cars paint, you'll be fine. Helps if you have a garage and a high power halogen light so you can see what correction is has given at each stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmck1980 View Post
For are hard paint prob a rotary machine but if u are a beginner a dual action machine won't achieve the same results as a rotary but they are easier to use
With a rotary, you have to be an absolute moron to mess it up. Just read up about how to use them for a couple of hours, keep it moving, start with the less harsh pads and you'll be fine. Trust me. I was in the exact same boat, and i am so glad i didn't get a DA. So many people buy DA's because they're scared of a rotary, then end up selling their DA a few months later and buying a rotary because they see there is nothing to be scared about and DA's take ages on hard paint like BMWs. They also are a lot more expensive and can go wrong easier due to them being more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Subzero,
Thanks for your detailed response on detailing.

I first ever used Autoglym on my previous car and using it on a regular basis I was able to virtually eliminate minor scratches, so I was well pleased with that. As you rightly say, it's a good filler.

I think I've left it a bit late in the year to do any serious paint correction to my present car; not that it needs that much doing to it, so positively Autoglym/SRP along with a few treatments of Collonite will help the paintwork through the coming winter, and when summer returns (hohoho) I'll invest in some Gtechnic P1 and a Meguiars 220 D/A polisher and really go-to-town on it.
Yeh, give a few layers of SRP, then a layer of wax, then another layer of wax on your next wash and you'll be fine over the winter. In spring, i'd definitely recommend buying a rotary over a DA, and also some Gtechniq P1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Regarding foam pads, you mentioned that you use a compounding foam pad, so would it be safe for a novice to begin using this type of pad?
Yes, just make sure you have all the other pads as well (finishing, polishing and compounding). Work your way up so you can get to feel how stuff responds. Gtechniq is a very good polish, in that when you use it with a harsh pad, it doesn't leave hardly any buffer trails or marring, especially on BMW paint, like most other polishes do - it looks great even just using a compounding pad! However, it is still necessary to refine with a finishing pad afterwards to get the best from it. I used 3M pads which were great, but definitely get a good backing plate and don't just use the thin and unforgiving standard one.

Bottom line, you'd have to be a royal idiot to ruin your paint, especially on a BMW with Gtechniq P1. It's such a low temperature polish that only need about 1200rpm max to get the best from it. BMW paint is hard, so it means it forgiving. But it is also quite thin, which means you just need to exercise caution when using really heavy duty cutting pads like wool. Even using compounding pads didn't really cut into BMW paint very much at all.
Appreciate 0