09-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

335d if I can get one, or 330d?

Allow me to set the scene:

My car whoring is at an end, and life has become more about work and family. Yes, I know I've just scared all the under-25s...

Work want more miles, wifey wants more kids, everyone wants me to be able to cart more junk about. I have a heavily-modded E46 M3. Square peg, round hole.

Thus, the M3 is going to have to go after a long love affair. Modeed or de-modded, it's off, and I'll probably end up somewhere around the 20k-plus-a-bit mark as a budget to get a replacement.

Having had a 530d, I'm aware of the ability of the oil burners, so temptation is pushing me back to one of those as a first option. Whilst I fight the ineffable daddy-dilemma of 'E90 v E91', is there anything major between the 330d and 335d that's a gotcha?

I've had a poke around a 335d, and I have to admit to having a small trouser arousal , but I was surprised (not sure why) to see that it only got around 35mpg. Reading up I can see a few people have mentioned the same - does the 330d fare significantly better (enough to make it a viable option) or is it too close to matter? I really want the performance, but at the same time if the 330 will chuck out 40mpg then it's got to be considered.. Anything else I've missed along those lines?

Also, are there known faults with either that would cause Mrs Chaos to have to share her weekly piggy-bank raids on my wallet with a dealer/indy? Financially I'd be looking at the low end of the 335s and lower end of the 330s, so mileage may be a consideration when looking at possible repairs/failures.

I have to confess, I'm used to doing the telling not the asking, so I may have missed something that I should have asked. Feel free to share your experiences, please, I'd like to make a well-informed decision if I can.

Thanks
Appreciate 0