View Single Post
      01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Ascendant
Rep
Drives: Old

Dealing with an incompetent dealer

My dealer's service department rearly screwed me over, what do you guys think is the best way to handle it.

Long story short. I took my 2006 330i, 120k miles, in for an oil change a month ago. Everything is fine, fluids good, tires good, etc.

Warning light pops up a week later, I take it in a week after that.

They tell me that some pump has shorted, needs replacing, $600. Also a transmission leak, $1600 to fix. I'm told that if I delay the tranny leak fix I could have the entire tranny go which would cost a fortune, as the fluid levels could already be way down. Everything else about the car is fine.

I call my BMW guy (trained, certified, has the diagnostic stuff, costs half as much) I describe what the dealer told me, he says it will cost about half as much to fix all that.

I take it to him. (Dealer charged 150 for the evaluation) He calls me up and tells me
A) He fixed the pump, it was shorted like they said.

B) There IS NO TRANNY LEAK TO WORRY ABOUT. He says the connector is just slightly damp, happens all the time, nothing at all to worry about. Even checks the fluid levels, says they are perfect, and not to waste my money (although jokes he could use the money,lol)

C) He is AMAZED that the dealer didn't tell me, in two visits, that my tires desperately need replacing. In fact I have a nail in one, and one rear tire is visibly splitting. He can't get the tires, so tells me to go get them replaced immediately. I do so, the Big-0 tire guy is also amazed at my tires.

So needless to say I am more than a little pissed off at my dealer. Overcharging is one thing, but telling me my tranny will die unless I get $1600
in pointless work done, and missing, in two visits, tires that are on the verge of blowing! And yes, both receipts say they checked the tires and they were fine.

Debating whether to call my Service Manager and ream him.
Call the head of service at the dealership
or just call BMW customer service, since they emailed me asking me to rate my visit, lol.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Pictures of tires included. I knew they were probably getting due to be replaced, but dealer kept tellng me they were fine (I get my oil changed every 10,000 miles) So took their word for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0