View Single Post
      02-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #77
roninsoldier83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT / AP2 Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
That is simply untrue, the only reason the ecu advances timing with race gas on a stock car is for 1 reason
The stock is timed to aggressive for the conditions its driven in.

You just wrote a huge paragraph and explained nothing. By simplying lowering the TARGET timing, you achieve knock free operation, just like any other modern platform.

I posted BONE STOCK timing vs load charts that cobb provided multiple times. ARe you simply ignoring them?
Without coming off an as a prick, I honestly don't think Mike understands what he's talking about. These cars have load vs RPM timing tables just like every other modern vehicle I've ever tuned.... most of which have been posted more than once.

For reference Mike, here's a stock timing map/table for a N54:

On top of that, here's the base timing values for Cobb's stage 1 timing map:

^^^Funny, they look exactly like pretty much every other timing table I've ever played with. They have limits (Mike's "maximum set points") based on load vs RPM.... just like a Subaru... and every other modern car I've ever played with/tuned.

+1 to yourself and Shiv. If base/maximum timing values cannot be obtained under WOT, the timing tables are too aggressive for conditions, and a tuner worth his salt would reduce timing to ensure knock free operation under any load within normal conditions, only relying on the knock sensor as a failsafe.

Most modern cars have knock control systems that decrease/retard timing based on knock, BMW's knock sensors simply appear to merely be more sensitive and the ECU/DME is able to react more quickly.

Cliff notes: N54 timing is controlled in the same manner as any other car I've ever seen- via a RPM vs load table.