DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
Ok, thanks guys for all of your help. So here is my plan for later today. I'm going to run to an auto parts store and pick up some anti squeal and brake cleaner. Pull my pads/rotors, clean my rotors. Apply antisqueal to the pad backs. If the sound either remains or goes away and comes back with a vengeance (as is what happened this time), I'll live with the noise until I get annoyed enough to spend a couple hundred on non-slotted rotors. I'm not switching pad brand/type. These pads do a great job stopping me like an OEM pad, while still being very low dust (and usually noise). I haven't used another manufacturer that has given me that combo before. They also take quite a while to fade, unlike most ceramics.

Btw, I know it may not matter, but my rotors do appear to be a match to DVs as far as the slots go. From any rotor a slot on the top half of the rotor is pointing toward the front of my car on the outside edge. So on the passenger side it would look like his pic, and the opposite goes for the drivers side. Makes me wonder if they installed half of them backward. Later when I take off wheels again to look, I'll try to check out the vane orientation, although from what I could see, they seemed rather flat...
Stick a long, thin screwdriver into one of the vanes and see which way it points. I can't tell from the picture. I have seen rotors with straight vanes before, but I would imagine that yours would be directional.
You might be able to find someone with lightly used rotors in the market for some slots and do a trade + cash. Just make sure to have used rotors resurfaced first, as the Akebono pads need a clean surface to lay down a transfer layer. This is very important.
And a "good man" for sticking with the Akebono pads. You won't regret it.

Last edited by DV; 08-31-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0