jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta
Well, the dealership just pissed me off, telling me that the ticking noise is normal for the 3-series. Keep in mind they did not listen to it while the engine was cold. :mad:

Now I am questioning myself and I am having a hard time telling the difference to the specific type of ticking that I am hearing. I am not sure if it is a "metallic tick" vs. the normal ticking that I hear all of the time when the engine is running. I have listened to the audio clip that MSINFO US recorded and that definitely had a metallic sound to it.

How did you guys determine that you had a problem vs. the "everyday" ticking sound that the engine makes? And does the engine suppose to make a constant ticking sound?
I had the ticking but it went away and yes it sounded like the audio clip that was posted. But it was intermitant and when I finally made an appointment with the dealer it wasnt doing it so I never did take it in.

If your car is fairly new and the ticking is intermitant I would try different gasolines and wait and see if it gets worse before you panic, I was a little ticked off but now I have other problems like a runflat with a slow leak.

Happy Ticking!