View Single Post
      10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
If it was publicly made and not patented then its anyone who has the time and money to make it their own. I had this happen to me on a different platform but same concept, I saw a need, saw a solution, adapted it to the car I had and started to make them for members. 6 months later the same company that makes the same device for other cars that emailed me the car I was driving had too small of a market to make them sent me a cease and decist letter that I was infringing on their patent on that very vehicle. I was allowed to sell the rest of the ones I hand built and stopped to avoid other actions.
It seems to me that you have been bullied by this company. You had all the right to make and sell your device, but you decided to stop because they threatened you with some vague patent. I understand you folding to such pressure, as for an individual, legal cost can spiral out of control and make you lose more money than you can afford, even if you end up winning the legal battle. But to me, this is a sign that patenting is a dysfunctional process. On the other hand, without patents, the sad story of the op repeats again and again. Tough choice between two evils, enabling copycats, or enabling innovation crushers.
Appreciate 0