cwbiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
2001 330i Convertible  [0.00]
They know alright..

There are currently 3 335d's parked just outside the service door at my dealership. Mine is one of them. This is where they put the longer term cases that they have to push in and out. BMW knows there is a problem... can't say for sure they have a fully determined fix or if they do they have enough parts in production to keep up with the failure rate...so they may be doing some stalling actions to put some of those cars back on the road temporarily while the new head and manifold solution becomes available.
Or maybe they are just trying this as an experiment to see if it is enough of an improvement to warrant doing with a wider scope.
I still don't necessarily see a solid solution on the table.. but I for one am being sufficiently serviced to keep me reasonably happy. But everything is subject to change if it gets too ugly or they drag their feet too much.
I find the comments about the X5D not seeming to have the issue interesting...and I'm going to explore it a bit with the service manager the next time I sit down with him. I have considered an x5D as an alternative but am hesitant because it has the same engine. If it suffers not from this malaise then I have to wonder why not... and how exactly does this figure into the picture. It might just be that one of those alternate reprogramming "booster" chips could give more torque and less problems in the long term. Something else to consider when the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0