10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
It is VERY important to have working primary o2 sensors on this car.

I'm curious if you noticed a drop in gas mileage, smell of fuel, or excessive black soot out your exhaust?

Most cars and I say most hesitantly will run in a "safe mode" where it basically dumps fuel for safety when the o2 sensors are not working. I'm not sure if this car works in such a fashion but would never drive this car tuned without a working o2 sensor. That is the life line of the engine.

The secondary o2 sensor behind the cat isn't as important as that just reads cat efficiency. It's quite uncommon to have all the o2 sensors go. However, the are sensitive to vibrations and dropping and repeated install/uninstall.

I do not recommend paying for labor on an o2 sensor replacement (if you are on a budget) as the job is pretty straight forward, unplug them and remove with a simple spark plug tool or open ended wrench. Getting to them is not the easiest but it should only take about an hour tops to do it yourself in the driveway.
Thanks Jeff. So by primary you mean the ones in the front? Where are they located? I haven't searched a DIY on the primaries yet. The person who installed my DPs said theDPs would have to be removed to change them and I don't think that's true...

I did notice a more smell coming out of my exhaust, although I can't say it was fuel per se...more of an exhaust smell. Not sure if that's just my secondary cat taking a beating since I don't have primaries anymore!