06-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
to summarize... I feel the shops are hypnotized to tell the customers 15k oil changes nothing else is required. the oil in our cars is quasi synthetic and it WONT LAST 15k... filters tend to last 7k ... however the BMW filters i was unable to find a test on. Please think about it, the engine is new it WILL HAVE wear metals in it, some wont be caught by the filter. I dont want metal particles floating in my oil for 15k.

gl

ppp
Why wouldn't metal particles be caught by the oil filter? The filtration medium in these filters is such that it will catch anything smaller than about 10 microns in size, maybe smaller depending on the filter type. Even if some of the particles at this size get through the filter on the first pass or two, they will likely be caught on a subsequent pass. Also, remember that all filters actually become more efficient with use: the pores start to get slightly clogged, making them smaller, hence trapping smaller and smaller particles. This might even be a good argument for chaging the oil, but leaving the filter in place for every other oil change. As long as oil flow stays within spec, the filter is even better than new. As a matter of reference, most people cannot even SEE anything smaller than 50-75 microns.

BTW, where does the 7k mile filter life citation come from?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0