08-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I can fully appreciate that. I had the same rules and all three of my kids suffer them as well. I wouldn't be keen on any of them -- especially my daughter, but only because of her youth and gender -- making the drive alone, but I wouldn't mind letting them do it with one of their friends whom I felt is responsible. I'd fly their friend back home.

BTW and FWIW, if you've not been to the DC/Balto area before, here are some tips that may aid you in your travels around the area:
  • The drive from Balto is pretty much interstate all the way from downtown to downtown and takes 45 - 75 minutes,
  • There is pretty good public transportation in DC. It's not quite as good in Balto, but if you are of a mind to go to DC for a night of collegiate-age partying in bars, take Amtrak or the MARC train. You'll find the MARC + taxis in DC itself about the same cost as a quarter tank of gas, and cheaper by far than a DUI/DWI ticket and/or accident. Depending on the time of your travel, you may have to take the MARC to DC and the Amtrac back to Balto. When I was a kid, I had a couple friends who would regularly come down from Balto, party all night with us, grab breakfast at a Georgetowne restaurant and catch the 4 a.m. train back to Balto.
  • On the East Coast, when mentioning a road by referring to its numeric identifier, do not use the definite article. Instead, say, "...on I95...", or just ..."95 South..." One never says "...the 95..."
Good luck. Travel safely, and have a great semester and a wonderful time overseas.
Thanks! Tips are much appreciated. I'm a junior now, so I've been in Baltimore for two full school years already. I go to Johns Hopkins and the transportation from the school to the harbor/downtown is great... But that's about it. Trying to get anywhere else (especially for grocery shopping) is a nightmare. And I'm not too keen on the Hopkins neighborhood.

Getting to DC is easy. Amtrak and MARC are great! My main use of the car would be for trips to Costco, markets, recreational activities with friends and visiting friends at other east coast universities (Loyola/Towson/UMaryland in MD, and schools like Penn, NYU etc), etc.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0