View Single Post
      07-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #39
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The problem with financial goals, from my humble and perhaps not so vast experience in the grand scheme of things, is that when one makes $X per year, the thought goes something like 'man if only I made $Y per year, I would be pretty set.'

Then when that person hits $Y per year, their tastes change and the goal post moves further away. So now, 'man, if only I made $Z per year...'

If you are ambitious and continually strive for the most out of life, this cycle, as I am beginning to realize, will never end.

The guy who wants a Ferrari but can only afford a BMW dreams of someday owning that Ferrari. Meanwhile, the guy who owns the Ferrari is dreaming about a 60' yacht and a house in Monte Carlo. I guess the guy who has all of this probably dreams of a private island or a personal country?

I believe there is nothing wrong with any of that, so long as one is grateful of where they currently are, and strives to fill their shoes TODAY to the best extent possible, so that when opportunities arise to move up, they can be seized. Be grateful for and content with what you have, but avoid stagnation and always have goals to strive for no matter what that next level is for you.

There are more areas in life to consider beyond the financial. Emotional, physical, intellectual, interpersonal, and other factors all play a role.

In my early 20's I met many physical goals, read lots of books, but didn't have a family and made no money that anyone would brag about. Now I have a family, have nice cars (not at that Ferrari level, yet!), a business, but damn if it's hard to get to the gym every day or have time to read books on my favorite subjects.

It's all relative and the advice and responses in this thread, harsh or encouraging, are all great. I would add that as you focus on one aspect of your being, naturally other aspects take a back seat. Having goals for each different aspect will help keep that balance of total happiness, so you don't feel like the wealthy guy with no family, or the unhealthy guy who has a family and a career, or any other unbalanced situation that you would consider unacceptable, since these things mean different things to different people.

If you are struggling, and don't want to sell your car, and want your wife to stay at home, you can get a second job nights and weekends to supplement. Where there is a will, there is a way. Not to sound cliche, but this philosophy has served me well in the long run.

Last edited by ddk632; 07-05-2012 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Man these typos are killing me today
Appreciate 0