Lord Of The Fjords
Norway
Rep
Drives: 325i Coupe

Garage List
2006 325iAT  [0.00]
2006 325iAT  [0.00]
Changing Interior Trim - DIY

I received my aluminum trim today and thought it would be hell to change my plastic aluminum trim to the real thing, but it was very easy. You just have to use power.

I started out with the door handles. They were the easiest to change. I used a flat screwdriver to lift up the outer end of the trim. I lifted it enough to get my finger under it. Then it's just to pull it slowly from one end to the other. Use power, but do it slowly. The trim will be released from the clips. I then put the new ones on. Very easy. This goes for all of the doors.

Now for the dash...
A bit more time consuming, but quite easy.
Use the flat screwdriver again and lift the right side of the trim (by the right door). The air ventilator will also come off. When you have reached the center of the dash (where the dual ventilators are) you need a torque key (size 10) to unscrew the two screws that holds the center ventilators to the trim. When they are unscrewed you work on the key hole. It's clipped on. Unclip it on the backside and take the outer part of the key "ring" and button out. The ventilators on the right side and in the middle is also cliped on the trim. Unclip them and you will release the whole trim panel. Reverse this order for putting the new trim on. The left side of the wheel is easier. Just do the same as above.

Now for the toughest part - The center console (non iDrive)
First you have to pull up the gear frame. It's easy, but you need to use a bit of power. When it's up you can take off the whole console (Don't forget to lift up the armrest). The you need to unscrew the four screws that holds the ashtray to the trim. When you're done, unclip the storage bin (by the armrest). Then you need to clip off the ashtray trim. Also, clips. To put on the new console, repeat what you just did.

I aslo changed the trim on my steering wheel. I had the same alu plastic trim, but wanted it black, so it would look better with the real aluminum. Use the torque (same size) to unscrew the three screws behind the wheel. The unclip the plastic trim. The controls will need to be unscrewed from the trim. Repeat the whole process to put on the new trim.

All in all I used around 1,5 hour. Next time I guess I can do the same thing in 30 minutes.

By the way, I have a complete plastic alu set for the E90 if anyone wants it cheap.

Good luck!

C
Appreciate 0