View Single Post
      03-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

I'm no expert on this and have not seen the actual hardware for this, but is it possible to reduce the brightness of the bulb powering the inner ring so that it matches the outer ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
BMWorNOTHING - I'm surprised that it took so long for you to install these. essentially you are just removing a bulb, and plugging a bulb back in. The main problem with removing bulbs / installing bulbs is the fact that there is little to no room to get your hand into the headlight compartment. Unfortunately that is just the design BMW gave us to work with.

you mentioned that the inner ring is much brighter - You might want to make sure that the bulb is twisted all the way into place. the LED's are specifically positioned to work correctly when the bulb is twisted into place. If you compare the brightness of the stock H8 bulb with brightness of the LUX H8, you will actually find that the 2 rings are more evenly lit with the LUX H8.

The reason that the inner ring is so much brighter is because of the design of the physical headlights. The inner and outer ring are designed so differently that is is impossible to make them exactly the same. In some of my experiments i was able to get 2x the amount of light to the outer ring, but it still appeared to be dimmer then the inner ring. With the inner ring the light comes directly forward, while the outer ring uses small groves to reflect light. please see the attached diagram

One other thing to mention about the outer ring. Because of the shape of this ring, you are only able to see the light reflecting grooves from certain angles. If you look at the ring from the side, top or bottom, you will not be able to see the groves, and therefor you will not be able to see the light coming out of it. My recommendation is to look at the headlights from 15-20 feet away. Also if you are taking pictures of the headlights its best to be 15-20 feet away, looking eye level with the car. Thank you!
Appreciate 0