07-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #131
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My wife's uncle paid over 1 mil. for an ordinary 5-bed house, cash. He did not have to provide his pay stubs to the IRS, what is the point? Granted, he did not show up at the closing in a sweat suit with a bowling bag full of 100's. Are you saying the IRS audited you, which is something different altogether? The only reason the IRS should be auditing you is if you do not have an income where you could realistically come up with whatever 45 or 55k for the car. It's like saying you gave 300k to the United Way, but you work at Best Buy and make 19k per year. Something is not jiving in your story. Maybe there are details that you are leaving out. Paying cash for a car is very commonplace, and there is nothing at all illegal or suspicious about it. My wife bought her 2011 car cash, and it was over 40k. What was interesting, is that when my wife offered to get a cashier's check, the dealer said a personal check is fine and would be easier.
I think the key difference is showing up with actual cash, which is not easily traceable as opposed to paying the purchase price for something without financing it, but doing so through a check, bank transfer, etc.
Appreciate 0