View Single Post
      04-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The two most popular sites are iStock and Shutterstock. Go on there and read the forums to get some insight into the community and difficulties getting stuff noticed and sold. Not saying it's impossible, but it will definitely take a long ramp up time and commitment to build a portfolio that earns you any notable cash.

Go on both sites and look at the top photos, read their blogs, do some searches for different topics and take note of the amounts of search results. View some photos and look at their number of downloads, etc.

I have an account on iStock. I had to submit 3 photos and go through an approval process. I only ever uploaded one actual photo (the first three don't count, they are just for getting approved) and it's never had a sale. I dropped the ball on it when I realized, to make money doing stock photography, you have to shoot what is in demand. That may not always be what you want to shoot.

For me personally, it defeats the reason I do photography in the first place. It's the same reason I'd never want to do weddings. I don't want to shoot what someone tells me to shoot.

To make any half decent money from a popular stock photo site, you have to have thousands of photos that sell regularly. You have to be aware of what is in demand and shoot whatever that is, as good or better than the top guys already on there.

I suggest to check the sites out and see if it's something you'd be interested in. Then, if so, create an account and go through the approval process, and start uploading some content, and see how it plays out.
Appreciate 0